Sunday, August 11, 2013

Missing Home

Ok, so I've been here in Bolivia for about a week.  I've been so overwhelmed with everything: learning a new culture, the language barrier, living in a new home, getting to know new people, and teaching.  It has made me really miss being home.  I realize that I have four months until I'm home for a visit, and about a year until I'm home for good.  Let me clarify though, I do love being here in Bolivia.  I love experiencing the new culture and meeting so many amazing people.  The scenery is amazing and food, delicious.  However, there are things I miss about home:

*Eating:
 Here, I'll eat a light breakfast (usually grabbing a buttered roll on the way out the door), small lunch, and small dinner, unless I go out to eat.  I'm not a large eater by nature, but sometimes I need more.  I'm still not used to the food here, so I tend to opt for lighter meal until my body can adjust to the new foods.  I'm also used to eating at certain times during the day.  Dinner, in Bolivia, is usually not eaten until around 730 or 8.  Not that I can't grab a snack earlier, but I'm used to a certain way.

*Showers:
Ok, so the shower situation is I have about 4-5 minutes of hot water before the hot water turns off and I'm shivering as I finish up.  I miss having tons of hot water at my disposal and savoring that time.  It's  nothing too major, but still makes me miss home.

*Heat:
Yes, it is the end of winter, and it's cooler in the mornings and evenings, but in the houses, there is no heat.  The floors are ceramic tiles, so they freeze your feet off.  Everyone always has their windows open, too, which doesn't make much sense (I keep my window closed), but oh well.  I mostly stay bundled up under my covers in my room most of the time to stay warm.

*Resources:
At school, we are limited with supplies.  Or rather, there is a system in which we must order supplies and then wait 24-48 hours to receive them.  This goes for all copies and any materials, such as dry erase markers, pens, pencils, and clock batteries.  Oh, and we are restricted to certain numbers of each items.  It's very different having to account for everything.  I'm used to going into the copy room and pounding out a bunch of copies at a moment's notice.  The system is what's best for the school, but it makes any teaching frustrating.

*My Friends and Family:
I miss being able to just call or text my friends and family at any point in time to hang out.  I do enjoy making new friends and hanging out, but I dearly miss my old friends.  I miss going over to my parents and playing with my nephew...listening to him ask questions and give me squeezes.  I miss my sisters picking on me...well, ok, maybe not that lol.  But just being there and watching them grow up.  I'm devastated that I won't be there for Emily's dance recitals or Amy's gymnastics competitions.  I miss hearing everyone's voices...sure, I am able to email and Skype (when it works), but it's not the same.


Ok, so these are just a few things that I really miss about being home.  I do love it here, in Bolivia, and it's going to take some time to adjust.  I don't want to make it sound like I'm whining or complaining...well, ok, maybe a tiny bit, but the fact is, there are just some things that don't compare to home.  As much as I love it here, some things are just simply better at home :)

No comments:

Post a Comment