Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Crackin' the Whip!!

So, yesterday, we had a "new teacher" meeting with the high school teachers.  One of the things that was brought up was addressing any issues with classes.  I spoke up and said that my students, particularly my 9th graders, were very inconsiderate of me, as the teacher, and of their other classmates.  They always talk over whomever is talking, and simply don't pay attention.  A few other teachers also voiced their agreement in the matter.

As I was talking this morning with Ms. Katherine, the other English teacher, about the meeting, I told her how I was at my wits end.  I refused to stop class every two minutes to tell my kids to stop talking.  There are a few kids who want to learn, and shouldn't have to be punished for the actions of those who view school as a social time.  Ms. Katherine told me her method.  She said she told the kids that anytime they are disrespectful or rude or anything she deems as inappropriate, she makes a mark on the board.  Three marks and the whole class has to stay during break or after school and write the appropriate consequence sentence 50 times (the whole high school had agreed to use a method that another teacher had devised where the student must write a pre-written sentence so many times as a consequence.  The idea is that the student will get sick of writing the sentence, that they will eventually stop their bad behavior).  Now, this may not seem fair to those in the class who did nothing wrong, but I also wanted them to keep each other accountable.

I explained to my 7th graders and the one 8th grade class that this rule probably wouldn't be in effect for them, since they were angels.  However, my 9th grade classes and the other 8th grade class, this was definitely needed!  Both of my 9th grade classes each received one mark, but they were silent and encouraged each other to pay attention, as well.  It worked!  I at last had found how to get through to these kids!  My last 8th grade class, well, they didn't quite make it and will have to return tomorrow during break.  However, I am so excited that my 9th graders have finally learned I mean business.  I am hoping this works and keeps them in line.  I told them that I am sick of having to stop class every two minutes.  That my sisters act better than they do...and they're the same age as my students.  Although they may not enjoy the next few weeks as I crack down on their behavior, I do hope that they learn to respect me and each other.  I want them to learn life lessons, as well as academics.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you found some solutions!!

    Valerie Roth

    ReplyDelete