Wednesday, August 7, 2013

First Day of School

Ok, so I'm taking a break in my narrative to share about my first day of school with my kiddos...

I woke up around 530am, but just laid in bed for a good half hour texting a friend of mine from back home.  I just wasn't ready to face the day yet.  Eventually, I got up, though and got ready.  I must have changed my outfit about three times before I settled down on an okay outfit.  It would have to do.  Grabbed breakfast and some hot tea and walked the two blocks to meet up with Hannah and Leah.  It was going to be nice walking down with people.  We got to campus and I went to pick up my homeroom information from the office...I was informed last night that I was going to be one of the 9th grade homerooms.  Yikes!  Anyways, I got my information and went to set up my room for the day.  I wrote down the abbreviated schedule on the board and prepared my notes.  The store did not have any of my copies ready for me, so I had to improvise and plan that for tomorrow.  Oh well, I'm sure I would have enough to get through today.

As the bell sounded around 7:55, my 9th grade kids started filing into the room.  They immediately segregated into boys on one side of the room and girls on the other.  Oh, boy...not this already.  I briefly introduced myself and had the kids write down their names for attendance, as we did not have a roster yet (grr).  I explained the class rules and procedures briefly and told them what the day was going to look like.  They looked at me with bored faces as they glanced back and forth at their classmates.  One student kept things lively with his humor and questions.  Around 8:45, I gathered up my room to head down to the assembly.  I had warned my kids that I expected good behavior from them.  We headed down, boys leading out in front, and the girls lollygagging behind.  I kept having to call for the girls to hurry up.  I was getting annoyed, and I hadn't even started actually teaching yet...

The assembly was basically giving some rules to the high school and introducing the teachers, which didn't take long.  Of course, my kids had to be the class that stood up at the wrong time...and continued to stand until being yelled at to sit down by the director.  Sigh...not a good start at all.  After the assembly, I began the nerve-wracking business of actually teaching.  Today wasn't too bad, is it was mostly introductions, going over rules and expectations, and  getting contact information.  My 7th and 8th graders were absolutely precious and were so attentive.  The one class even called me the "cool teacher."  I was happy :)  Not that I want to the teacher that gets walked all over, but I do want my students to like and respect me.

Let me briefly explain how the classes work at Calvert (the school).  Each grade is split into two groups, BLUE and YELLOW...I'm assuming because these are the school colors.  In elementary school, there are two teachers for each grade and they usually split the classes they teach.  So one teacher might have both groups for English and Social Studies, while the other teacher has both groups for Math and Science.  In the high school levels, we all the groups in our grade, everyday.  So everyday, I have six periods: two groups of each grade.

My 9th graders are going to be my hardest bunch.  They're at that age, where they think they know everything and so they can afford to goof off and sleep.  Yup, I had sleepers on the first day of class.  I had to reprimand them a few times on respecting me and their classmates.  It's going to be a loooong year!!

Over all, though, it was a good first day.  I'm going to drive myself crazy learning everyone's names, but eventually I'll get it.  I already nicknamed one kid "You," which seemed to amuse him and the class.  I think this year is going to be great, but challenging.  It's definitely going to take me a while to get into "teacher mode," as I still feel like I'm just subbing in a class.  This time, I have to actually create lesson plans and unit plans...for real...not just for a class of make believe students.  Gulp!

I was exhausted by the end of the day, but still had to get downtown for Giovanni to help me get a SIM card for my Bolivian phone.  While we were there, he mapped out the public transportation system for me, and sent my head spinning with road names, bus routes, and which corners to stay at for certain buses.  It was very helpful, though, and hopefully by the time I leave I'll at least have some road names and routes memorized.  After all, I've lived in Johnstown for about 22 years and still have yet to know road names and various routes.  I am looking forward to this year, even though about half of my students might drive me up a wall.  I am anxious to see if I enjoy teaching enough to continue to make a career out of it.  I know I love kids and interacting with them.  I like pushing students to do their best, and making learning fun and interesting.  Too many times, I think teachers are more interested in the texts that they don't let students have fun.  I want my kids to enjoy learning and be creative.

3 comments:

  1. They will love you! I know it.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, how many names do you know now? LOL

    ReplyDelete