Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Cochabamba

After my delicious treat, I headed into the security check point area.  Again, with the language barrier, it was difficult to communicate with the security guy.  He kept asking for my ticket, which I showed him repeatedly.  After a frustrating 5 minutes of gesturing, I finally understood...he wanted my old boarding ticket, from my previous flight.  I was allowed to enter and as I sat waiting, I did my favorite thing of people watch.  Next to me sat a family with two young boys.  The older one was a bit mischievous and was made to sit in time-out at one point with the mother, while the younger one went off with their father.  The topics covered were why the boys had to start school soon and scolding for picking on the younger brother.  At on point during the time-out, there was an announcement on the speakers and the mother told the mischievous youngster that the they were saying they were coming to get him if he didn't behave.  It made me chuckle as I thought that is the same thing I would probably do.  And it worked, as the boy settled down.

Cochabamba


I finally boarded the plane and settled in for the 45 min. ride to Cochabamba.  As I looked out the window, all I could see were houses upon houses in a brown dry dust.  I had to keep reminding myself that it was winter and the trees and flowers were not yet in bloom.  It was bound to become more appealing visually as winter ended.  The plane landed, I gathered my large suitcases, and headed out of the terminal.  Would I know what the director of the school looked like?  I wheeled my baggage with much difficulty outside of the large group of people waiting by the doors.  There was a tall lady who kept staring at me as I paused with my luggage.  She hesitantly walked towards me.  "Molly?" she asked.  It was Alma, the director.  I hoped she had brought a large vehicle as we walked towards the door.  Turns out, she brought the school messenger and they brought the school van.  Good...my bags would all fit.  I couldn't help but notice the messenger's look of surprise as he lifted my suitcases into the car.  They seemed a bit heavier than he realized, I think.  Oh well, I was staying for a whole year, after all.

We made our way to the hotel where I was to be staying for a few days.  As we weaved in and out of traffic, I was tempted to cringe at times.  It was like being in Russia; weaving between the non-existent lines on the road, narrowly missing other cars and people.  Everywhere I looked, there were bright colors from the architecture and graffiti on the walls.  People were very free with their horns, and the slightest aggravation would cause them to tap their horns at others, whether pedestrians or vehicles.  We arrived at the hotel where I freshened up and took a much needed nap.

Graffiti along the road


That evening, Alma came to pick me up for a dinner with the two student teachers from New York.  We walked into the restaurant and sat down at the table where the student teachers, their professor, Joanna, and Alma's husband Giovanni were waiting.  The girls were very animated as they spoke to Giovanni asking what words were in Spanish or what the meals were.  We did introductions and I learned that Hannah would be in 3rd grade and Leah was helping to teach high school art.  They were very friendly and I could tell we would become good friends...once I caught up on my sleep, that is.  I had difficulty refraining from yawning and looked forward to returning back to my hotel.  The rest of the group was very talkative and there were random outbursts of laughter from Hannah and Leah's end of the table.  I was looking forward to getting to know them better.  Dinner finally ended and we all walked Joanne back to her hotel.  There was a summit going on with some of the South American countries about capitalism in Cochabamba, and many important political figures were staying at her hotel.  Walking up to the hotel I again felt like I was in Russia.  Military personnel were standing all over the place and watched us like hawks.  We were able to get in and out with no difficulty, and I returned to my hotel.  The next day was going to my first time seeing the school campus and I was anxious to get my rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment