Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Transportation and Getting Around

One of the things I've been wanting to talk about is the transportation.  Back home, I'm used to having my own car and driving where ever I wish, whenever I wish.  The cars are a little nicer and more people own and drive their own vehicles.  Down here, it's a bit different.  Most everyone takes public transportation, whether it is by trufi, taxi, or the micros.  A trufi is usually in the form of a mini-van or a larger type of van.  It has a general route, as with the micros.  Each trufi has a certain number and certain route.  I usually take the 121 or 131 trufi as it goes from in front of the school and down Avenue America, which is where most of my activities are.  The fare is 1.90 bolivianos (Bs.), which is equal to around $0.27.  You can go anywhere on this route for that price, whether it is one block to the whole route.

Micros follow the same pattern with a standard route and fare, 1.90 Bs.  A micro is in the form of a bus.  The driver usually decorates the inside with stickers and has a theme.  Some of the "themes" are Disney, cartoon characters, or even more risque pictures of women.

Taxis are like normal taxis all over the world.  You call or hail a taxi and they will take you to your destination.  Certain taxi companies are more familiar with certain areas.  For example, the taxi company that is located around my house is Danubio.  When I call, they know the address of my house and usually pick me up in about 5 minutes.  Any other place, it usually takes about 10 minutes for them to pick me up.  Each taxi is also decorated with stickers or have stuffed animals on the dashboard.  One of the first things I was warned about when coming to Bolivia was to never get into an unmarked taxi.  Every company requires its cars/vans to have their company sticker on the sides of each vehicle.  There are other taxis, though, that are more free-lance and have a reputation for ripping people off or, worse, attacking and robbing clients.  My taxi company of Danubio now knows that when they receive a call from my phone that it is the stupid American that can't understand Spanish, so conversations are short. Lol!

The roads are typical third world country kinds of roads with dirt, cobblestones, or paved, but full of potholes.  Actually, almost similar to Johnstown...full of potholes.  Anyways, because the micros are pretty ancient buses, it almost feels like riding a wooden roller coaster at an amusement park.  The micro sways as it rolls down the street and when climbing a hill, will chug along slowly.

Most people do not follow the stop light regulations.  As long as no one is coming at an intersection, many vehicles stop, look, and just roll right ahead through.  Police are rare, and mostly just look the other way at traffic violations.  Although there are sometimes definitive lines marking lanes, most vehicles do not bother following the restrictions.  They weave in and out of each other, squeezing through tight spots as needed.  Some people use their turning signals, while most don't care who they cut off.  To combat speeding, there are frequent speed bumps where drivers must slow down to pass them.  Even on major roads, there will be speed bumps.

Until I had moved to Bolivia, I had not really taken any public transportation, however, now, I would consider myself somewhat an expert.  I have also never been one to memorize street names or places, but now, I have to pay special attention where things are located.  The transportation system has been a challenge, but one that I am proud to have accomplished and overcome.  I have even had a few pleasant "chats" with taxi drivers about being here in Bolivia.  Although conversations are not long because of the language barrier, it has been fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment